A class, in short, in mould-making and casting, skills which are very useful to my Props students and which I, until quite recently, had absolutely no hand in. But no more!
Yes, I, your humble narrator, am now absolutely teh awesomzors at pouring silicone on knick-knacks.
I've uploaded photos in chronological order, starting with Tuesday, as I forgot my camera Monday. I had a classmate and a teacher, but in the interest of courtesy I have excluded photos of them and their work as I don't really know them. But their work was quite good--in several instances, better than mine. Anyway. The shot at the top is at home this past Saturday at dinner. You'll see. Pictures!
|My hand, supported in rice, waiting to be filled with plaster.|
|Cookin' up some vinyl. Yum. It smells like custard-scented plastic, particularly so when you melt it. It gave me a headache.|
|My classmate pouring vinyl over an ashtray she would like to use as a lamp base. The vinyl takes a couple of hours to cure, so we left these overnight.|
|Cutting air-vents into some fiddly bits to prevent bubbles getting trapped. The vent must carry straight through into the rest of the piece.|
|GIANT CHRYSALIS. Or mould wrapped in cling-film ready to have plaster poured in it and shaken vigorously.|
|But hey, my air bubble vents worked! Everything seeped out nicely.|
|Cleaned up and tidied. Did you know you can cut freshly-cast plaster with a scalpel? I do now. I finished up the bottom later.|
|As a curiosity, my teacher coated the handle in a thick paste-like silicone and let it harden over night, just in case. It came in handy. We also poured 2D moulds in silicone and left them overnight to cure.|
|The shell to the left is pure polyurethane, no filler. The shell to the right is pure...shell. With some barnacles. But they're long dead. My landlady had about eight of these.|
|Check those deets! Polyurethane's potential for producing accurate replicas is OFF THA CHAIN.|
|My teacher's genius idea for adding increments to disposable cups. Only works if you regularly use the same cups, of course, but this style is pretty easy to find, and dirt cheap. Great for polyurethane and polyester mixing.|
|Now it's your turn!|
|A polyester/metal powders apple, using a mould that was laying around. I've polished it a bit with steel wool to bring out some highlights. It is very cute. This was Friday morning.|
|Set handle copy in the mould for hollow cast attempt. The hollow-mould technique probably would not have gotten enough PU into the handle space for it to work otherwise.|
So yes, I learned something. A thing or two. I learned a lot of other things that aren't detailed here but these were some of the cool things. I also really enjoyed it. I screwed up a few times but was able to figure out what I'd done wrong (mostly speed and thickness-related issues that get better with practice). The things I brought home look nice, and I'm proud of them, though what on earth I'm going to do with them now I have no idea. I'm back at work this week, ho-hum. Maybe next summer I'll take a class in ceramics. Or sculpture. Or blacksmithing. Or silver-smithing. Or painting nudes. Or painting naked people.