Tuesday, November 22, 2005

the "real world"

you know what i'm getting damn tired of hearing? older people telling me how their eyes were somehow opened when they entered the "Real world"--some new plateau of world experience and comprehension that suddenly dawned on them when they were slightly older than i am now. every time i encounter some loser who has recently graduated from or dropped out of university and has done nothing but work some mediocre job, pay bills, and drink beer they invariably tell me that they were hopeful and naive just like me until they day they entered "the real world." I don't quite understand how someone who has lived twenty some-odd years and done absolutely nothing noteworthy can dare condescend to another twenty-something student who is willing to at least go out and try on a career and independent living. Hell, at least I'm willing to go out and try. Most of these "real worlders" who have spoken to me did nothing between graduating and settling into a dead-end job and/or dead-end relationship and now have nothing else to do with their lives than grumble about taxes and remember how they were really cool 'back in the day.' And they'll continue to carp on about these two issues until they are forced into early retirement and fail to receive pension and eventually die, ever hopeful for some redemption in another life--a compensation for how much their life sucked.

When i inquire as to the nature of this "real world" as opposed what i can only suppose is the parallel universe in which I live, and when I might expect to encounter it (is there some sort of bubble i have to pass through?) I'm invariably told to wait until i'm out of university. I go on further to inquire as to just what the real worlder has done with his or her time since graduation, and i'm also invariably told the same thing. "worked hard, never had enough money." How in hell does this differ from the world that I'm living in now? at least they're being paid for their work, not paying someone else to make me do it. I work, physically and intellectually, about 50 hours a week, and must not only pay tuition but inordinate prices for my dormitory and those fun random fees that just occur as a daily part of university life. I eat in a restaurant once every couple of months. I buy my alcohol in the grocery store and drink it at home so I can afford it. I don't own a TV, keep the air set from 68-72 all year, get my books out of the library, and buy my tea on sale. If it weren't for my computer and the fact that i wear shoes you could say that i live a pretty bare-minimum American lifestyle. I make do--i have an on-campus job that pays for groceries, i earn good grades to keep my scholarship, and i'm more than a few grand into debt with student loans. I guarantee you I work harder and longer than many of these post-academia real-worlders and have endured the same hardships of life.

The only thing I can decipher--given what i know about them and myself--is that you enter the real world the day you stop having a good time. The day i stop living is the day i enter the real world. (at this point the jaded real-worlder may stop and stifle an outburst of laughter with a knowing eye-roll or a sneer out of one side of his or her mouth--oh this little girl, she has no idea what she's in for) Well i got news for you. The day i stop having a good time--the day i stop having hope for something better in my future is the day i end my life. If entering the real world requires losing passion and interest, i can only hope i have the strength of will to cease living before i reach the threshold.

One thing i have a hard time understanding is the religious real-worlder: these angry, struggling failures who attend church and claim a faith in some form of deity although every iota of their psyche knows that said deity will not redeem them or make life any more fun than its turned out to be. They can only pray that they have suffered and struggled for a good reason, and that when they keel over from all the misery of it there will be a big comfy chair for them to relax in and they will become fat and happy. Yet at their core, no matter how they mask it with this faith or train their minds to embrace it, they still fear death.

The day my ability to pursue happiness ends, so will cease my purpose in and excuse for living. I can only hope this is a long time from now, and not when i'm twenty-four like so many people. If you're not having a good time, there's no reason to stay at the party.

I'm having a good time.

4 comments:

MattJ said...

Well I went the other way round. Did the 'Real world' until 24 then went to Uni. As far as i can tell teh difference between the Real World and Uni is taxation and set hours.

Wouldm I rather still be at Uni? Of course I do! Is it any easier? in some ways yes, in some ways no.

The real worlders of which you speak are the ones who really want it to be that way. Theyn want to appear so grown up that they understand Tax Return forms and bitch abiut the boss over a beer int he local bar.

Personally, I like looking for somehting else. almost continuously. Browsing is fun. ;-p

Ben said...

Well I'm an english student who has to spend all of about four hours on campus every week, so I think that it's probably fair to say that I don't live in the 'real world'. The only work I do is writing essays, which I enjoy in a strange sort of way, and reading, which I do anyway.

Student loans don't have to be paid off here until you are earning over £20,000 a year. I have friends who are doing the whole 'sixth form - gap year - university - boring job for the rest of your life' sort of structure but I'd rather spread my fun out a bit more, drift around and enjoy myself. I'm a pretty good bass player, an ok writer and I'm at least passably charming, I'm going to see how far I can get on those before I eventually bow to the inevitable and become an english teacher.

MattJ said...

over 20k? Where do you live? lol! It can't be Britain, if it is you are sadly misinformed my friend. Think you'll find it's 15k before repayments are started. Before april of this year it was 10k so we are slightly better off now.

Anyway, i suggest you do what i do, pretend it is in fact your money and spend it til it runs out. Enjoy yourself, worry later when you start thinking that cardigans look good on men.

Ben said...

interesting, well as I said - english student, numbers are alien to me.

as for cardigans, pah, if I enter the real world I'm going all the way, I'll be wearing tweed suits with leather patches on the elbows and disgusting ties.

But yeah, I dig your method, in fact I'm off to the pub to spend my last £3 soon. Although I'm being smart with my money - it's £1 a pint night.