Monday, November 26, 2007

just over a week

It finally happened last night--I saw a bookbag on the floor out of the corner of my eye and thought it was the cat coming to check on me. So far I'd been so conscious of Boots's absence that the force of that habit was overwhelmed--all book-bags were just book-bags. But i guess as my focus drifted, the old habits returned. I wonder if i'll ever reach a point where i don't apologize when i trip over my sneakers.

In other news, a household plumbing project required me to cut away a sizable portion of my laundry room wall yesterday, reminding me forcefully of just how much i loathe sheet rock and Fiberglas insulation. urgh. but the removal went smoothly and promises an equally smooth re-installation. unfortunately, now that the hole is there, my dad is eying the aging linoleum in that room too. I hope he'll let me rent a compressor and just brad the baseboards back on once its tiled.

In still other news, i'm now certified as an advanced-level autoCAD operator. Hooray me. Now, to get a job on a sailboat.

2 comments:

Ben said...

if it takes anything like as long to get used to an absence of cat as it does to get used to the presence of cat, then I'm afraid it'll be a while. It took me months before I got used to a creature moving around the house at ankle hieght. constantly messing with my peripheral vision.

Lisa said...

I was certain that I saw my recently deceased cat Niobe on the couch as I was leaving for work this morning.

When I glanced again, there was nothing on the couch at all.