Tuesday, May 13, 2008

spicy thai food causes sudden head colds

Passing Strange has been nominated for 7 Tony awards!!! HOLLA!

I would just like to thank all the little people who got me where I am today...on a sailboat in the Chesapeake...Still, as a member of the crew who built the first Passing Strange set, I somehow feel that it's okay to be proud of the show. My show. PS was the first show I built from scratch at Berkeley Repertory Theatre in the fall of '06 (the set for our first show of the season, Mother Courage, had been built in La Jolla as part of our co-production arrangement. we installed it but I didn't really take ownership of it. That and it was Mother Courage. I mean, c'mon, Brecht? Eurgh.)

7!

Sadly it does not look like it's been nominated for best most awesomest scenery the show no longer uses. Unless they do still use some of it. I doubt it heavily but it is possible. Maybe parts of the light wall? Or the curtain dropper rig? I worked on those things. I know the light wall has changed into something that splits and flies out, which is cool, but not what I built. Sooo... I doubt it. But it was our scenery when it was at the Public, so I can feel good about that, at least.

Congratulations, Passing Strange. If you win, I'm gonna pretend I won too.

2 comments:

Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

Me too. I had a message about it in my status message at work (and on gmail), and the non-theatre people at Google kept congratulating me. I started off saying, "thanks, but it's not like I was nominated...I worked on the world premier, but I'm not actually nominated for an award," and then having to explain what the Tonys were to some people.

Now I just kind of say "thanks! I'm excited too!"

Just remember: this show could not have happened without the interns!