Sunday, June 08, 2008

The Heat Index or When A Gallon Just Isn't Enough

So it's pretty dern hot and humid out. This weekend saw the first day of hazardously hot weather for the greater Baltimore area so the computer voice on the weather station had helpful tips and reminders for how to stay safe. In addition to the temperature, wind, and waves, the weather voices occasionally are programmed to offer little quips such as "turn around--don't drown!" and "on frosty days, cover your delicate seedlings and bring potted plants indoors." While the voices are a bit more sophisticated than the typical "Alvin" speech replicator, they nevertheless sound pretty funny when called upon to say anything more than "at Thomas Point Light House, Fog was Re-ported. The TEMperature was Nine-ty Four deg-rees. Now for some Ob-Ser-Va-tions from the surrounding A-rea."

In any case, I realized I drank 5 liters of water today and still felt a little dehydrated. We've reached a point at which it's just too damn hot to eat, but if you don't eat you get even woozier with nothing to hold your water. Bleh. Interestingly, this hot weather has brought with it the smell of salt and a number of breathtaking lightning storms, pretty much overnight. I'm glad I got my hair cut when I did--curls plastered to the back of my neck would be intolerable right about now.

2 comments:

Ben said...

a gallon? I think you're heading into the territory where your brain swells up and you collapse there. Mr Ben advises you drink beer instead.

Lisa said...

I don't miss Baltimore summers. Have you seen the weird "city beetles" yet? I think they are wood-eaters. They're big and black and amble around on very hot nights.

Once, I was doing laundry in our basement, and Robb came down the stairs to tell me something. He just gaped in horror, because the entire door frame of our cellar stairs was writhing with beetles. You couldn't see any wood at all. just squirming bugs.

Does your job continue into the summer? Are you being a good sailor and drinking plenty of grog?

(The Secret Password to make certain that I'm not an Evil Robot contains the word "rum.")

My advice about food in the heat of Baltimore's summers -- late dinners and lots of beer. Always worked for me!