Sunday, February 10, 2008

Craputer back online

So I have this little auxilary laptop. It's old and tired and doesn't like me very much, doesn't have much space on disk, loses its train of thought, and occasionally talks to itself, but i love it and offer it tender encouragement to keep going. Today i had to solder its old-fashioned model-specific power cable back together where it had been smashed years ago and gradually worn away. (read: never trust college flatmates with chairs and technology.) I finally broke down and got it a new wireless card for when I move to Baltimore and will not have access to regular home internet. I've found what I hope will be a good internet cafe about two blocks from my workplace and residence. To all my housemates in Berkeley who used this machine in the living room, awkwardly poised between the ugly sofa and the television, I wish to apologise. I was just too cheap to update my machine until now.

The only reason this machine is still viable as a communication and storage device is, you guessed it--Google. The box is merely a window into the shiny goodness that is Gmail storage, Google documents, Google Talk, Picasa, and every other online storage venue I can find. Who cares if your programs limit you to 1gig of available hard drive space when you've got 6 gigs of storage per email account (that I trust far more than the one encased in this delicate notebook with no battery)? Google, like Cuba, keeps obsolete machinery viable for those who need it in this rapidly progressing technological age. Thanks, Google.

How It's Made is my favorite show ever. I'm writing this on the commercial breaks.

No comments: